If one of your goals for 2021 includes writing, publishing, and selling a book, you might be looking for a roadmap right about now.
What’s it based on? Last year, I coauthored “Rehumanize Your Business: How Personal Videos Accelerate Sales and Improve Customer Experience” with my longtime friend, Steve Pacinelli, Chief Marketing Officer at BombBomb. As the project got underway, I wasn’t sure how to get a proper book written, which options were available to get it published, or how to get it sold to the right people – but we just moved forward, sought advice, tried and failed, and figured it out.
With nearly 25,000 copies sold to date, Rehumanize has taught us a variety of lessons – and I’m sharing some highlights with you here through this 6 Ps framework. I hope that our experience will inform you and encourage you to reach for and accomplish your goal of writing a book and publishing a book. And as you’ll hear soon in Part 2, no one is going to sell your book but you.
I’m Ethan Beute, Chief Evangelist at BombBomb, host of “The Customer Experience Podcast,” and co-host of the “CX Series” on the “B2B Growth Show.” In this short, solo episode, I share Part 1 of “The 6 Ps of Writing, Publishing, and Selling Your Book.”
Of course, there are nearly infinitely many ways to go about this process. This is only reflects what we learned on our first go at it – and with a nonfiction business book.
Related: To download the Powerpoint slide deck from which this episode originates, click right here.
Related: To see a blog post I wrote with lessons learned on the Rehumanize Your Business journey, click right here.
Here in Part 1, I review the first 3 of the 6 Ps:
• Purpose: Know why you’re doing this; if you aren’t clear on the reason and motivation behind your book, you’ll struggle to make decisions effectively and perhaps even to make meaningful progress.
• Proposal: No matter which publication route you choose, you’ll benefit from having written a book proposal, which should include seven key elements.
• Process: You can’t edit what isn’t written — meaning, just get the words down. You can’t get feedback from others or refine and improve what’s only in your head.
The 6 Ps of Writing, Publishing, and Selling Your Book (Part 1 of 2)
Please give this one a listen and reach out with feedback! You can play it right here …
Prefer to listen on the go? Want to be sure to catch Part 2 in a few weeks? Find and subscribe to The Customer Experience Podcast here …
While you’re there, give one extra click to rate the show. It’s very helpful. Thanks!
Sign up for a monthly email with CX insights and highlights
- More about Rehumanize Your Business
- Video of a live stage presentation on this topic
- Blog post about this topic
- Slide deck covering the 6 Ps
- Rehumanize Your Business page on LinkedIn
Other Episodes You’ll Enjoy:
- “10 Rules for Building a Category and Building a Community” with Sangram Vajre (Chief Evangelist and Co-Founder, Terminus)
- “The Epic Takes Mixtape: Human-First Highlights from the First 100 Episodes“ with David Cancel, Joey Coleman, Mathew Sweezey, Paula Hayes, Ethan Beute, and others
- “The Four Stages of Video Adoption” with Ethan Beute (Chief Evangelist, BombBomb)
Hear More of The Customer Experience Podcast by Subscribing: