Imagine that sales is a contact sport.
If we sent athletes onto the field without pads or helmets, we wouldn’t be surprised when they got injured. In the same way, organizations treat overwhelmed and struggling sales professionals as if they should stoically endure the stressors they’re exposed to day after day — without protection.
So where can organizations begin? Well, they can start by providing sales teams with pads and helmets in the form of stress management and mental health toolkits. That is the first (but only one step) in alleviating and supporting the mental health struggles of sales professionals.
Jeff is the Founder of Sales Health Alliance and author of The Guide to Better Mental Health in Sales. In the future, rather than increasing and improving sales technology to work harder, faster, and more efficiently, Jeff believes success in the sales profession will be driven by optimizing the whole person behind that technology because sales professionals are genuinely struggling.
Two years ago, research showed that over 43% of salespeople had difficulty with their mental health. Today, Jeff discusses the results of a more recent study and how those numbers have changed — for the worse. But there are tangible ways organizations can provide the mental health resources that sales professionals need and deserve (and he shares some of those with us today). Jeff also talks about technology, empathy, encouraging vulnerability, and best performance in the workplace.
Jeff and I also discussed:
• Why it’s challenging to be vulnerable with someone who judges your performance
• How COVID affected mental health in sales — by the numbers
• What role technology plays in eroding boundaries
• What salespeople need to feel and perform their best at work
• Where to start in supporting the mental health of salespeople
Supporting Salespeople Struggling with Mental Health
Hear Episode 174 and any/every other conversation of The Customer Experience Podcast in your favorite podcast player …
While you’re there, please give an extra click to rate the show or even take a minute to leave a review! Thanks for that!
We also embed the full conversation and make it searchable right here in these blog posts. The recording with Jeff Riseley is right here …
Sign up for a monthly email with CX insights and highlights
Video Highlights: Supporting Salespeople Struggling with Mental Health
Check out the top five video highlights from the discussion with Jeff Riseley…
1. Customer Experience is Holistic
2. The Future of Sales is The Seller, Not The Tech
3. What Salespeople Need Most
4. The Three Components of Purpose
5. Fake Empathy and Effective Empathy
Links Related to This Conversation:
- Sales Health Alliance
- The Rich Roll Podcast
- Kevin Bailey, DreamFuel
- Tommy Short, Think Better Perform Better
- Fantasy Flight Games
Other Episodes You’ll Enjoy:
- Episode 70 with Jeff Riseley, “Mental Health in Sales: More Than 40% Struggle”
- Episode 112 with Lisa Earle McLeod, “Leading and Selling with Noble Purpose”
Subscribe, Listen, Rate, and Review The Customer Experience Podcast: