Consumers have turned into prosumers. That’s to say, most of us have taken on the persona of professional consumers. Before we go to dinner, buy a product, or purchase software, we look for information. We research products, read reviews, and ask for advice on a nearly professional level. We have access to more facts, details, and insights than ever before. So what does this mean for sellers?
When a potential customer comes through the door, visits your website, or touches your sales rep’s LinkedIn profile, they’re looking for something specific. To be successful, you have to uncover their behavior pattern and what it reveals about their intention. What is it they’re looking for? Why? And why now?
In practical terms, before anyone sends a message to a prospective customer, they have to know what pages that individual has visited. Learning this information will help brands interpret what customers are searching for, allowing them to demonstrate understanding and to structure conversations on their customer’s terms.
Today’s guest is Mario M. Martinez Jr., Founder, CEO, and Modern Sales Evangelist at Vengreso. Mario is also keynote speaker, podcast host at Modern Selling Podcast, and pioneering proponent of video messages in the sales prospecting process. He reminds us that customer experience includes how the culture of its people affects our collective brand impression of an organization. Whether intentional or unintentional, just one person can make or break the entire CX.
Mario also talked with us about the art and science of selling and the “show me that you know me” principle.
Mario estimates that on most days, sales is 51% science and 49% art. But it can shift situation to situation. And when it comes to the concept of “show me that you know me,” the way humans communicate isn’t step by step as it’s outlined in a playbook. Instead, it’s about listening skills and an interest in being genuinely known.
Simply put, if you want someone to be interested in what you have to offer, you have to demonstrate that you’re interested in them.
Mario is part of a special series we’re doing this summer here on The Customer Experience Podcast. He’s one of 11 experts that Steve Pacinelli and I interviewed in-depth in the process of writing our second book, Human-Centered Communication (available for preorder with limited-time bonuses right now and releasing formally in October on Fast Company Press). Throughout this series, we’re back in conversation with each of them in a way that complements their insights featured in the book.
In our conversation here, Mario also talks with us about:
• How your people collectively make up your brand
• What a prosumer is and how we buy
• How to hire better sales reps
• Where the line between art and science lies in sales
• Why you should communicate that you’re interested in others
The Art and Science of Selling to Prosumers
Hear Episode 154 and every other conversation on The Customer Experience Podcast in your preferred podcast player …
While you’re there, please take a moment to rate the show. Thanks for listening and for rating!
We also embed the full conversation in a playable and searchable format right here in these blog posts. The recording with Mario Martinez Jr. is right here…
Sign up for a monthly email with CX insights and highlights
Video Highlights: The Art and Science of Selling to Prosumers
Check out the top five video highlights from the discussion with Mario Martinez Jr., Founder, CEO, and Modern Sales Evangelist at Vengreso…
1. Customer Experience is The People
2. Structuring the Chief Customer Officer
3. The Professional Consumer
4. A Simulation for Hiring Better Sales Reps
5. Why Read Human-Centered Communication
Links Related to This Conversation:
- Mario Martinez Jr. on LinkedIn
- Radius Bank
- Human-Centered Communication: A Business Case Against Digital Pollution
More in Our Human-Centered Communication Series:
- Episode 148 with Dan Tyre, “Video Messaging and The Next Normal”
- Episode 149 with Lauren Bailey, “A Blissful Approach to Training Customers and Employees”
- Episode 150 with Dr. Nick Morgan, “Why Your Virtual Relationships Degrade Over Time”
- Episode 151 with Mathew Sweezey, “Creating Holistic and Immersive Experiences”
- Episode 152 with Morgan J. Ingram, “Creating an Environment of Continuous Coaching”
- Episode 153 with Dan Hill, Ph.D., “Emotional Intelligence & Human-Centered Connection”
Coming Soon in This Series:
- Viveka von Rosen — LinkedIn Expert and Co-founder of Vengreso
- Julie Hansen — Professional Actor and Creator of the Selling on Video Master Class
- Shep Hyken — Customer Experience Expert and Author of I’ll Be Back: How to Get Customers to Come Back and Back Again.
Subscribe, Listen, Rate, and Review The Customer Experience Podcast: