Many businesses are trapped in the technical SEO box from 15 years ago — that’s no longer enough to produce results. Every piece of content must contain tangible value to generate conversations, opportunities, and leads.
When we step back to look at what drives people to action and connection, there’s a clear winner for engagement: emotion and honesty that honor our primal urge to build relationships.
How does that apply to B2B? A business has never bought anything. There is always a person or a group of people behind a decision to buy or not to buy. While technology changes rapidly with constant restructuring, human nature generally stays the same. We crave community.
Storytelling is one of the oldest forms of communication and connection we have as a species. It’s how we pass on wisdom, bond with friends and family, and, yes, even grow affinity for brands.
Developing marketing that connects to people requires constant examination of primal urges we’re activating and serving through our storytelling – and how that relates to an overall stronger bond.
We spoke with Anthony Butler, CEO at Can-Do Ideas and author of Primal Storytelling: Marketing for Humans. Anthony is an entrepreneur who has started several companies and scoured countless forms of storytelling media to unlock the door to click-baitless, honesty-first marketing.
Anthony is the founder and CEO of a HubSpot partner agency dedicated to helping 100,000 businesses grow through brand storytelling. He believes in the power of emotional primacy and honesty as cornerstones critical to marketing success.
Listen in to learn with Anthony:
- What you need to know at the intersection of evolutionary psychology and marketing
- How to meaningfully build relationships with your ideal customers
- How connecting on an emotional level helps you earn trust
- Why influence is NOT deceit or manipulation
- Why and how to acknowledge the humanity in your marketing efforts
Honesty, Humanity, and Storytelling in B2B Marketing
Hear Episode 258 and any other conversation on The Customer Experience Podcast in your favorite podcast app!
When you’ve got your podcast app open, please give us an extra click to leave a rating for the show! We appreciate you.
We also embed the full conversation and make it searchable right here in these blog posts. The recording with Anthony Butler is right here …
Sign up for a monthly email with CX insights and highlights
Video Highlights with Anthony Butler
Check out the top five video highlights from the discussion about marketing to and marketing for humans…
1. Definition of Customer Experience
2. The Humanity Missing from B2B Marketing
3. Honesty, Short-Term Tactics, and Long-Term Strategy
4. On Being a HubSpot Partner Agency
5. Nod to Fuji Sports for Customer Experience
Links Related to This Conversation:
- Chris Bogue on LinkedIn
- The Complete Guide to Selling on Video
- Joe Janes Live with Chris Bogue
- Nick Capozzi on LinkedIn
Other Episodes You’ll Enjoy:
- Episode 137 wiht Gabrielle Dolan “Enhancing EX and CX Through Brand Storytelling”
- Episode 40 with HubSpot’s Dan Tyre “The Biggest Transformation in Prospecting in 30 Years”
- Episode 148 with HubSpot’s Dan Tyre “Video Messaging and The Next Normal”
Subscribe, Listen, Rate, and Review The Customer Experience Podcast: