What’s one of the keys to creating loyal, lifelong customers? Your Customer Success (CS) team. To accomplish this, they must help deliver on the promise of why the customer became a customer in the first place.
This requires deep investment into the entire customer journey. In fact, it means being so immersed in the customer’s journey, CS becomes more than simply available and trusted. It becomes deeply strategic and valued.
In the role of strategic advisor, CS becomes so much more than a problem solver or even afterthought to performing any function that serves your customers’ best interests. Beyond onboarding and adoption and beyond retention and expansion, we must become true partners in our customers’ success.
Today’s guest, Wayne McCulloch, literally wrote the book on reimagining a new CS framework, The Seven Pillars of Customer Success. Wayne recognizes what’s missing in customer success — that it doesn’t swoop in to fix problems. It permeates every role with a perspective of ownership of the customer experience.
Wayne worked in CS and education for companies like Salesforce, IBM, HP Enterprise, Looker, and Kony. He currently serves as Global Head of Customer Success at Google Cloud (SaaS). This has led to his profound understanding of common mistakes in customer success (and the relationship between CS and CX) that are key to strategically creating customers for life.
Wayne and I also discussed:
• How there were 5-12 pillars in the beginning of the book
• What the seven pillars are — including Strategic Advisor
• Why CS should serve in the roles of parents and police
• How a 1940s movie perfectly illustrates CS
• Why you should use a third party for customer exit interviews
The 7 Pillars of Customer Success
Hear Episode 147 and any/every other conversation of The Customer Experience Podcast in your preferred podcast player …
While you’re there, please give an extra click to rate the show (or even take a minute to leave a review) – it’s very helpful!
We also embed the full conversation and make it searchable right here in these blog posts. The recording with Wayne McCulloch is right here …
Sign up for a monthly email with CX insights and highlights
Video Highlights: The 7 Pillars of Customer Success
Check out the top five video highlights from the discussion with Wayne McCulloch, author of The Seven Pillars of Customer Success…
1. Salesforce, CS, and the “Customer for Life” Organization…
2. Going Beyond Customer Education and Adoption
3. Owning the Moment, Not the Customer
4. Churn Journey Mapping
5. The Future of CS and the Hunter/Farmer Divide
Links Related to This Conversation:
- Wayne McCulloch on LinkedIn
- Customer Success Pillars
- Tom Hogan on LinkedIn
- Maria Martinez on LinkedIn
Similar Episodes You’ll Enjoy:
- “Your First 30, 60, and 90 Days in a New CX Role” with Jeff Breunsback (Director of Customer Experience, Higher Logic)
- “The 4 A’s of Customer Experience” with Leah Chaney (Chief Experience Officer, BetterGrowth)
- “Creating Forever Customers with a Forever Promise” with Robbie Kellman Baxter (Author, The Forever Transaction)
Subscribe, Listen, Rate, and Review The Customer Experience Podcast: