The job of salespeople isn’t to convince — it’s to be an asset to the customer.
Effective sales functions on the belief it’s the science of service. And that belief? It requires setting accurate, transparent expectations and meeting them consistently to succeed.
Back on today’s episode is Todd Caponi. Todd is the Founder of Sales Melon (amongst many other professional titles), and he joins me today to share the sales industry’s fundamentals, including those established over 100 years ago. And while sales has shifted, Todd takes a values-based perspective — what was good for people then perpetuates today.
A self-professed sales and history nerd Todd is an advisor, speaker, workshop leader, sales historian, and two-time author — most recently of Transparent Sales Leader: How The Power of Sincerity, Science & Structure Can Transform Your Sales Team’s Results — who’s earned the attention and respect of business leaders worldwide. He built his impressive career in sales leadership roles at companies like SAP, Exact Target (now Salesforce Marketing Cloud), and Power Reviews.
Today Todd shares his thoughts on creating expectations and the problems in the sales process today. He also dives into some of the frameworks highlighted in Transparent Sales Leader, his thoughts on personalization, the quality of a sales pipeline, and how video has helped him create (and close) more opportunities.
Todd and I also discussed:
• When the science of sales began to emerge
• Why successful sales leadership is like the ultimate team sport
• How the power of sincerity, science, and structure can transform your sales team’s results
• How digital pollution and noise impact today’s sales cycle
• Where in the sales process can you set consistent and transparent expectations
Sales As The Science of Service
Hear Episode 230 and any other conversation on The Customer Experience Podcast in your podcast app …
Once you’re in your podcast app, please give an extra click to rate the show or even write up a short review. Thank you!
We also embed the full conversation and make it searchable right here in these blog posts. The recording with Todd Caponi is right here …
Sign up for a monthly email with CX insights and highlights
Video Highlights: Sales As The Science of Service
Check out the top five video highlights from the discussion with Todd Caponi …
1. The Myth of the CX Mountaintop
2. The Five Rs For Revenue Leaders
3. Restoring Empathy and Connection in Sales
4. Making Buyer-Centric Tech Decisions
5. Benefits of Video for Buyers
Links Related to This Conversation:
- Todd Caponi on LinkedIn
- The Transparent Sales Leader
- The Transparency Sale
- Scott Anschuetz on LinkedIn
Other Episodes You’ll Enjoy:
- Episode 90 with Todd Caponi, “Why Transparency Sells Better Than Perfection”
- Episode 227 with Matt Dixon, “Keys to Overcoming Customer Indecision”
Subscribe, Listen, Rate, and Review The Customer Experience Podcast: