In terms of connecting and communicating, are you a text-based person? Or are you better on the phone? We all know we’re better on the phone. We’ve got our voice tone, pace, and personality to work with.
Let’s raise the stakes: Are you better on the phone or are you better face-to-face, in-person?
You’re better in person. We all are. We’re fellow human beings and social creatures.
The two main reasons we don’t get together with other people more often are time and distance. But face-to-face communication is how we build relationships and flourish as humans. So with time and distance conspiring against us, how do we move back from faceless digital communication and re-engage each other?
A few years back, I gave a TEDx talk on face-to-face communication at the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, (UCCS) the school where I earned my MBA. It proved incredibly helpful to the start of “Rehumanize Your Business,” the book that I co-authored with BombBomb Chief Marketing Officer Stephen Pacinelli.
Here in this post, in this podcast episode, and in the video recording blow are insights into the epidemic of facelessness and a call to make a flight back to the face.
I’m Ethan Beute, Chief Evangelist at BombBomb, host of “The Customer Experience Podcast,” and co-host of the CX Series on the “B2B Growth Show.” Not long ago, I enjoyed the privilege of presenting at the inaugural TEDx UCCS about face-to-face communication.
In this TEDx talk, I discuss:
• Why we avoid personal contact: We know face-to-face communication is effective, but we’ll dodge it with a text or email every time we can. Why?
• What the truth is about the “93% rule” of nonverbal communication: The belief that 93% of communication is non-verbal isn’t quite right. Or maybe it is…
• How the face and eyes are tied to empathy, ethics, and justice: When I look you in the eye, we gain kinship. And kinship is the spark of empathy.
The Flight Back to the Face
Please give this one a listen and reach out to me with feedback! You can listen with the player embedded right here.
Prefer the traditional podcast experience? Want to hear other episodes? Find and subscribe to “The Customer Experience Podcast” here …
While you’re there, rate the show with a single click. A review is great, but even a rating is very helpful. Thank you!
Sign up for a monthly email with CX insights and highlights
TEDx UCCS: The Flight Back To The Face
Other Episodes You’ll Enjoy:
- “Emotional Intelligence and the Power of Faces” with Dan Hill (President, Sensory Logic)
- “Unlocking the Science of Video” with Vanessa Van Edwards (Lead Investigator, Science of People)
- “Creating Fans Through Human Connection” with David Meerman Scott (Author, “Fanocracy”)
Hear More of The Customer Experience Podcast by Subscribing: