I’m a huge fan of shooting video outside. In fact, I may do it too often (watch the video below). It’s one of my 12 tips for better looking videos.
Still, I recommended to people who ask me about shooting videos for websites, blog posts, video email, and other marketing applications.
Shooting Video Outside: Why, When, and Tips
Watch the video above for specific reasons and tips for recording more videos outside.
Why: Get Out Of The Office
- Get out from behind desk, out from under flourescent lights, away from computer monitor, ringing phones, and interruptions
- Get fresh air, sunshine, and a little exercise
- Create a more open feeling in your videos
Why: Create Variety
- Give yourself more variety in shooting locations
- Provide your regular viewers more variety in backgrounds
- Create more flexibility by having more locations from which to choose
- Get comfortable with more spontaneity in shooting times and places
When: Early Mornings and Late Afternoons
- Shortly after sunrise and shortly before sunset
- Good windows include 7-10am and 4-7pm
- Varies by time of year, time zone, and location in time zone
- More flattering light with sun lower on the horizon
Where’s The Sun? Ask LightTrac
- Brought to my attention by Steve Pacinelli of Tech Savvy Agent and REALTOR.com
- Rich details about location and angle of the sun
- Mobile app for iOS devices ($4.99)
- Mobile app for Android devices ($4.99)
- Where Is The Sun? Real Estate Photo Lighting – Steve Pacinelli (click here – runs 2:51)
More Video Tips
Get Started with Video Email:
Try BombBomb absolutely free for 2 weeks with no credit card info required. Record outside with our mobile apps. Or record with another device, then upload, send, and track.