As a discipline and as a differentiator, customer experience has finally gained the traction it deserves. In fact, businesses now recognize and compete on CX more than price or product. And especially in crowded and commoditized markets, customers choose the brands they do business with based on customer experience.
In this context, you can’t ignore user data. But you can’t overlook the need for insight into what it’s like to be your own customer – valuable context for data-based observations.
Today’s guest is Janelle Estes, Chief Insights Officer at UserTesting. For Janelle, the art of user testing isn’t about what the customer did. It’s about building a shared understanding of customer perceptions – deep human insights.
Janelle began her career as a CX researcher at Forrester. She also held a Senior UX Consultant Role at Nielsen Norman Group. Most recently, she’s the author of User Tested: How The World’s Top Companies Use Human Insight to Create Great Experiences (a book I highly recommend).
Today Janelle talks about the practice and the value of user testing – and of collaboration around customers as human beings to create a better experience. She also shares her thoughts on customer data, the relationship between UX and CX, and how user testing helps you fine-tune your customer experience.
Janelle and I also discussed:
• How UX and CX play together
• Why user testing is a unique solution to gaining human insights
• What types of user testing are effective
• How to get started collaborating around the customer journey
• Why UX is finally gaining traction
Get Human Insights Through User Testing
Hear Episode 199 and any/every other conversation of The Customer Experience Podcast in your favorite podcast player …
In your podcast player, please give an extra click to rate the show (or even take a minute to leave a review) – it’s very helpful!
We also embed the full conversation and make it searchable right here in these blog posts. The recording with Janelle Estes is right here …
Sign up for a monthly email with CX insights and highlights
Video Highlights: Get Human Insights Through User Testing
Check out the top five video highlights from the discussion with Janelle Estes…
1. Customer Experience is The Customer Perception
2. Why Customer Experience Matters More Than Ever
3. The Power of Human Signals
4. The Art of User Testing
5. Scaling Human Insights (HelloFresh Example)
Links Related to This Conversation:
Other Episodes You’ll Enjoy:
- Episode 97 with Bob Berry, “How UX Drives CX (and the Entire World Economy)”
- Episode 138 with Anand Tharanathan, “Human Factors and Design Thinking”
- Episode 150 with Dr. Nick Morgan, “Why Your Virtual Relationships Degrade Over Time”
- Episode 184 with Tonya Bjurstrom, “Holding Curious Conversations to Hear the Voice of the Customer”
Subscribe, Listen, Rate, and Review The Customer Experience Podcast: