A customer walks into a metaphorical restaurant, refuses to look at a menu, and orders the chef special with supreme confidence. They put themselves into the chef’s hands not because they’re foolish or gullible, but because they trust the chef that much.
This is a forever customer. Someone who trusts you to solve their problem. Someone who takes off their consumer hat and puts on their member hat. They aren’t looking for alternatives anymore. They’ve relaxed into the relationship and are staying for the long term.
Before subscription services had become the rage, today’s guest, Robbie Kellman Baxter, was an ambassador for the member mindset — in other words, turning customers into members, or, better still, friends with your cell number.
This further evolved into the forever transaction and forever promise. The “transaction” that results in recurring business is the long-term relationship of trust you’ve developed with customers who are treated like and feel like members.
Strategy Consultant at Peninsula Strategies, author of “The Membership Economy” and “The Forever Transaction,” and host of the Subscription Stories podcast, Robbie explains that the cornerstone of long-term, predictable revenue isn’t product-centricity or revenue-centricity. It’s customer-centricity – when your primary objective is to go on the customer’s journey with them to solve their problem or achieve their goal.
Throughout this conversation, we talk about…
• Why feelings matter more than behaviors in customer relationships
• What a “member mindset” consists of
• How trust comes into play in a forever transaction
• How to test your customer centricity
• Why to treat your long-time customers better
Create Forever Customers With A Forever Promise
Enjoy Episode 129 of The Customer Experience Podcast anywhere you go in your preferred podcast player:
While you’re there, please take a couple of extra seconds and give one additional click to rate the show. We’d really appreciate it!
We also embed the full audio every episode these blog posts, so you can hear (and search) the entire conversation with membership and subscription model expert Robbie Kellman Baxter right here:
Sign up for a monthly email with CX insights and highlights
Video Highlights: Create Forever Customers With A Forever Promise
Check out the top five video highlights from the discussion with Robbie Kellman Baxter of Peninsula Strategies below…
1. Feelings vs Behaviors
2. The Membership Mindset
3. The Role of Trust in a Forever Transaction
4. Testing Your Customer-Centricity
5. Treat Your Long-Time Customers Better
Mentioned In This Episode:
- Robbie Kellman Baxter on LinkedIn
- The Forever Transaction (book)
- The Membership Economy (book)
- Subscription Stories (podcast)
Similar Episodes You’ll Enjoy:
- “Leading and Selling with Noble Purpose” with Lisa Earle McLeod (Founder and Keynote Speaker, McLeod and More)
- “Product Usage As A Vanity Metric” with Chris Hicken (Co-Founder and CEO, ’nuffsaid)
- “The Financial Side of CX: Which Customers Should You Invest In?” with Sarah Toms (Co-Founder and Executive Director, Wharton Interactive)
Subscribe, Listen, Rate, and Review The Customer Experience Podcast: