Features are commodities. But feelings? Feelings are differentiators. And customer experience is the last meaningful differentiator left availble to us.
Consider this: Our feelings stick with us. Emotions drive both memories and motivation (more on that in Chapter 4 here). When we create rapport, relationships, trust, and confidence, we have created a differentiated customer experience.
After doing some online research, I brought three air conditioning companies into my home a few years ago. The first representative was off-putting, the second was disengaged, but the third (and most expensive) treated us like a long-term partner in a significant home investment.
In the decision-making, the products were approximately identical. And the price didn’t really matter as much as we expected it to. But what did matter was how the seller made us feel about their company, ourselves, and our home.
And it’s this kind of differentiator that serves as an example of how our customers make decisions. The people providing unique and better experiences — these add value and further drive brand success.
In this episode, I ask three questions about how you choose companies and how your feelings about companies affect your decisions. And I add one qualifier (and it’s a big one!).
In this episode I also discuss:
• How to build trust and confidence in a digital world
• What we can do to create feelings about our company
• How video helps differentiate the CX
• What influences your decisions about the companies you do business with
• How we can make our digital communications about the other person
Features Are Commodities, Feelings Are Differentiators
Hear Episode 176 and any/every other conversation of The Customer Experience Podcast in your favorite podcast player …
Once you’re in the podcast player, please give an extra click to rate the show (or even take a minute to leave a review) – it’s very helpful!
We also embed every conversation and make it searchable right here in its companion blog post. Hear the recording for this episode below…
Sign up for a monthly email with CX insights and highlights
Other Episodes You’ll Enjoy:
- Episode 157 with Shep Hyken: “Why Repeat Customers May Not Be Loyal Customers”
- Episode 148 with Dan Tyre: “Video Messaging and The Next Normal”
- Episode 129 with Robbie Kellman Baxter: “Create Forever Customers With A Forever Promise”
Subscribe, Listen, Rate, and Review The Customer Experience Podcast: