There’s a resounding yes. They’re bought in on the need to change and the need to buy. And then … there’s nothing.
Customer indecision drives between 40-60% of sales losses. But what’s behind this indecision? How can sales professionals to successfully convey that the juice of the pain point they’re solving and the solution they’re offering is worth the squeeze?
Today’s guest on the podcast is Matt Dixon. Matt is a Founding Partner at DCM Insights, a company that helps organizations better understand the changing landscape of customer behavior. He’s here today to share his discoveries about high performers who overcome customer indecision. Join us today as he peels back the layers of that indecision and why most sales professionals need more guidance in addressing the problems found in the customer status quo.
Matt is also the co-author of the exceptional new book, The JOLT Effect: How High Performers Overcome Customer Indecision, as well as modern classics like The Challenger Sale, The Challenger Customer, and The Effortless Experience.
Today Matt dives into customer indecision and the data behind it. There isn’t just one source of customer indecision — but three: evaluation problems, lack of information, and outcome uncertainty. He also talks about how sales professionals can identify and break down indecision to increase conversion rates and build better customer experiences, and the best moments to build trust in expertise.
Listen to the conversation and learn from Matt:
• Where customer indecision comes from
• What the causes, consequences, and outcomes of customer indecision are
• Why it’s important to focus on customer needs
• How sales professionals can overcome and break down customer indecision
• What The Jolt Effect is
Keys to Overcoming Customer Indecision
Hear Episode 227 and every epsisode of The Customer Experience Podcast in your favorite podcast app:
When you’re in your podcast app, please support the show by giving an extra click to rate it – or even take a minute to type up a short review! Thank you!
We also provide the full conversation here in these blog posts in an embedded, searchable player. The recording with Matt Dixon is right here …
Sign up for a monthly email with CX insights and highlights
Video Highlights: Keys to Overcoming Customer Indecision
Check out the top five video highlights from the discussion with Matt Dixon …
1. Customer Experience is The Counterpoint
2. Three Ways We Make Customer Indecision Worse
3. Drivers of Customer Indecision
4. Becoming a Trusted Advisor
5. Reducing Indecision Digitally
Links Related to This Conversation:
- Matt Dixon on LinkedIn
- DCM Insights
- The JOLT Effect
- Rory Channer on LinkedIn
- Ted McKenna on LinkedIn
Other Episodes You’ll Enjoy:
- Episode 56 on The Effortless Experience, “3 Customer Experience Myths Debunked and Set Straight”
- Episode 90 with Todd Caponi, “Why Transparency Sells Better Than Perfection”
- Episode 180 with Rick DeLisi, “Transforming to DCS: Digital Customer Service”
Subscribe, Listen, Rate, and Review The Customer Experience Podcast: