It can be a challenge to help people work together effectively in service of the customer. But there are ways for leaders to create a culture of collaboration. To earn the loyalty and advocacy of your customers, the entire customer journey needs to be under one umbrella. And it’s this umbrella of a shared belief that unifies marketing, sales, and customer success.
To establish this collaborative culture, leadership should begin with trust and vulnerability. It should also encourage and demonstrate communication to the right people (using the right methods) – and promote cross-organization alignment around a shared set of goals.
Today’s guest is Mark Rosenthal.
Mark is the Chief Operating Officer (COO) at HqO, where he’s responsible for cross-team alignment with a focus on customer needs. As a way to engage the customer team at HqO, Mark shares weekly communication that features team updates, industry news, and a personal story. And it’s this level of engagement that exemplifies the three tenets of building collaboration — shared goals, communication, and leading with trust and vulnerability.
In addition to his role at HqO, Mark has facilitated the growth of a collaborative culture in various companies like Google and CBS Radio. In addition to sharing his views on creating a collaborative culture and communication, Mark shares the defining moment he realized how central the customer journey truly is. And it was at this moment he became determined to prioritize the alignment of skill sets for lift and leverage across every part of the organization.
Mark and I also discussed:
• How workers benefit from a return to in-person experiences
• How Mark transitioned from VP to CRO to COO
• What Mark does to stay engaged with the customer team
• How an argument helped shape his defining moment as a leader
• What the three keys to a collaborative culture are
3 Steps to Building a Collaborative Culture
Hear Episode 165 and any/every other conversation of The Customer Experience Podcast in your favorite podcast player …
In your podcast player, please give an extra click to rate the show (or even take a minute to leave a review) – it’s very helpful!
We also embed the full conversation and make it searchable right here in these blog posts. The recording with Mark Rosenthal is right here …
Sign up for a monthly email with CX insights and highlights
Video Highlights: 3 Steps to Building a Collaborative Culture
Check out the top five video highlights from the discussion with Mark Rosenthal…
1. Customer Experience is Every Decision
2. Increasing Productivity by Improving In-Office Employee Experience
3. Marketing, Sales, and Customer Success Alignment — From the Start
4. Communicating with the Customer Team
5. Three Keys to Collaborative Culture
Links Related to This Conversation:
Other Episodes You’ll Enjoy:
- Episode 123 with Scott McCorkle, “Transforming Customer Relationships with Transparency and Collaboration“
- Episode 127 with Darryl Praill, “3 CX Strategies for CROs”
- Episode 140, “Creating Sales and Customer Sucess Alignment“
Subscribe, Listen, Rate, and Review The Customer Experience Podcast: