The theme was 25 Awesome Email Tips delivered (somewhat breathlessly!) in just 25 minutes. Here: 12 of my takeaways from among those 25 tips, along with some additional ideas and resources.
Video: 12 Email Marketing Tips
The List: 12 Email Marketing Tips
1. “Email is the longest lasting and most private social network.” -Chris Smith, Inman News and Inman Next. This echoes a Chris Brogan quote in this recent BombBomb blog post: “The hottest and sexiest social network is your inbox.” Point: despite its maturity, email remains and effective and cost effective marketing channel for its being closed, targeted, and permission-based. It’s a key piece of an integrated online marketing strategy
2. 98% of top-producing agents (all $100K+ earners) say email is best for converting leads into business. Email converts. This one’s from their “Agent of Tomorrow” study, which is loaded with fascinating findings. What it says about video email for real estate brokers and agents can be seen here.
3. Wednesday and Thursday sends tend to produce the best open rates. This will obviously vary based on you, your business or organization, your email lists, and the nature of your sends. A smart sub-tip, then, is to test different days of the week.
4. Email marketing in the real estate industry averages 18.48% open rates. Again, this will vary significantly based on factors described in tip 3. A highly targeted, high value, consistently sent, and completely permission-based email will obviously outperform something less targeted and more self-interested. Do track your open rates, then review who’s receiving which emails. For an easy way to increase your open rates, click here.
5. Sends from a person (for example: Ethan Beute, BombBomb Video Email) result in higher open rates than sends from a company (for example: BombBomb Video Email). This makes sense. The same logic suggests that you not send from “noreply@”, “info@”, or any other generic “from” addresses. Pay attention to what your email looks like in a real inbox; these basic trust symbols help produce more opens.
6. Recent subscribers have higher open rates than people who’ve received their third, fourth, or fifth email. Work to engage new subscribers and work to generate new subscriptions. Make it easy to sign up. Cross-market your email list with your Facebook fans and friends, Twitter followers, and your sphere in general.
7. Segment your email lists. Click through rates (CTR) for sends to 2-6 smaller lists are higher than those for sends to just 1 large list. Here at BombBomb, we recently segmented one of our important lists into 3 smaller lists and reduced the number of people to which we sent (more targeted). We increased our open rate 9 percentage points and 27% overall and allow us to understand how different groups of people use our emails differently.
8. After an initial CTR increase for buttons, text links get clicked at a higher rate than buttons. We need to A/B test this for ourselves – we’ve been using lots of buttons instead of simple, plain text links.
9. Pay attention to mobile. Email opens on mobile devices now represent 36% of all opens, to desktop’s 33% and webmail’s 31%. Learn more about this finding and what it means for video email and how important iPhones and iPads are here.
10. Take a look at Litmus. BombBomb uses their service to test the email templates we build to insure that they look great and function properly when they arrive in your recipients’ inboxes. You may not be in the market for their services, but you’d likely find their blog loaded with helpful and interesting email marketing info.
11. Take a look at Emailium. It’s a solid place for email ideas and inspiration.
12. Take a look at Lead Conversion App. For $99/year, you can add an email signup form to your Facebook page that automatically picks up the subscriber’s email address from his or her Facebook account (so no form fill is necessary, just the click to confirm subscription). You can see it in action here at the Inman Next Facebook page. For a video showing how to embed the custom forms you build in BombBomb as a Facebook tab at no additional cost, check this out.
Inman Next’s Webinar Recording and Slides
BombBomb’s Agent Reboot YouTube Play List
BombBomb’s Agent Reboot Pinterest Board
Inman Next’s Daily Delivery Facebook Group